Friday 7 October 2011

Zenna; Contemporary Indian drinking

77 Dean Street, Soho


Welcomed by an exclusive, dark stairwell, surrounded by floating flower candles, it is hard to feel as if this you’re in a run-of-the-mill Soho bar. Descending downstairs, waving the early evening sunshine farewell, your vision is forced to adjust. Zenna uses very dim lighting, but also the décor itself leaves your eyes scanning the room endlessly unearthing more private alcoves, glass tiles and silver surfaces. We arrived around 5pm, and the bar was remotely quiet, however this worked to our advantage, and we were able to be advised by the conversant barman working in front of a very well stocked bar. Although the cocktail list offered a variety of tastes, with the plethora of stock from Saffron Gin to Peach puree, the barman was very happy to accommodate any cravings.



To quench the journey’s thirst, I was suggested a ‘Garden Martini’. On the cocktail list it pronounces itself as “very refreshing,” and that it was. Comprising Gin, mint, lime, apple, elderflower cordial and apple juice, decorated with a slice of cucumber, the martini was not only aesthetically pleasing, but invigorating for my taste buds. I highly recommend their “House Nectar”, of which the ingredients are kept top secret, perhaps with the ambiguity adding to the taste, with the barman allowing me to guess the ingredients, and perhaps giving away a cheeky glimpse once I had hit the nail on the head. My initial interest in visiting Zenna was their Spicy Cocktails. To ease me in to the spice, I was proposed a “Bee Sting” which infused the flavours of honey vodka, peach liqueur and jalapenos. Garnished with a split red chilli on the martini glass, I was reminded about the peculiarity of this cocktail. Described as “lightly spiced”, my first sip told me otherwise. However after my second sip I appreciated that my palate just needed to adjust to the foreign sensation.


My eyes were drawn to the paper, “The World’s Spiciest Cocktail,” The Illiana. It would be a crime to have left Zenna without attempting to try this tipple. Confronted with a waiver form, I had to declare that I was not inebriated, and that I was to try this cocktail at my own risk. I was confused as to the level of serious/quirkiness, I was filled with anticipation. The barman classically had to try his own concoction using a straw, and prior to this I’d never seen a man cry over a drink before. With only two drops of this mysterious chilli sauce, I was shocked to acknowledge that you could even feel the heat of the spice in the air. After experiencing the hysteria surrounding this cocktail, I wanted to prove I could play it cool. With my initial sip, and a “this isn’t too bad,” I soon had to face away from the barman and wipe the tears from my eyes. It was incredible and I challenge anyone to try it. The spice was then extinguished with a provided Gin Fizz, the perfect combination. You can tell the expertise of a barman when you can still taste the spiced rum and orange flavours through the intense seasoning.



Zenna provides the visitor with a unique, innovative experience in Indian cocktails. At first glimpse the prices may deter you somewhat if you are on a budget; however every penny is tasted in the striking potions. An experience not to be missed. I shall be returning with my "one free cocktail" card sometime in the very near future. 


Zenna image from William Reed Business Media Lt, and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment